Sunday, March 6, 2011

Man’s fashion nightmare 2 - Skinny jeans

man in a tub
No need to get desperate! Just don't wear them again...flickr © kirsten
Ok, so I might have touched on this last time with my post about people dressing like Russell Brand, but I think skinny jeans deserve their own place on the 2008 fashion hall of shame.
Now this isn’t a case of “trendy” people criticising the alternative look – I think a bit of black and alternative fashion goes a long way. No, I’m criticising the scrawny chicken-legs look. I dabbled with them once in my teens and quickly learnt that no man can look cool in skinny jeans – ok, no man who isn’t a rock star, but if you’re a rock star you can wear see-through plastic trousers and still look cool, as Iggy Pop proved.
If you want to look cool it’s worth putting up with a bit of discomfort, but not only are skinny jeans the most uncomfortable, restrictive trousers ever made,  they’re as far away from cool as you can get. I definitely don’t want to see every curve of a bloke’s skinny legs, and as for his other tightly-packed bits…!
Skinny jeans have been gradually disappearing, but they’re still clinging on and refuse to die. I only hope that the freezing winter nights up north put a death to them for good where I live.
So what do I tell the people in my shop who come in looking for skinny jeans?
You want skinny jeans? Go to TopMan. Or better still, get some proper jeans that won’t strip you of your dignity, get some Diesel ones, they’re ace!
What do you think? I’m right aren’t I? Yep. I knew it!

No comments:

Post a Comment